International Student Trips Powered By Discovery Education
South Africa Adventure

Shark Alley!!!

Sunday, June 7, 2009




Today was the day! The weather was beautiful until...we got on the boat. And as you would suspect,our group volunteered to go down first. Most of you know I suffer from motion sickness. I had made a valiant effort not to get sick by triple protecting myself with motion sickness patches, Dramaine, and wrist bands for motion sickness. This definitely didn't work. I did go into the cage and absolutely loved what I saw but was so sick. Midland's students really did like it. Here are some of their comments:

Meagan: It seemed as if I was in a dream! It was so surreal. Words will never be able to describe the feeling that I felt when I saw that Great White Shark.

Kelby: The Shark Dive was amazing! My perception of sharks is completely changed. To me, they are no longer the scary underwater monsters we have to worry about, instead, they are calm and peaceful animals.

Niki: Even though the water was 56 degrees.I couldn't even think about how cold it was because of the adrenaline running through my veins. Twice the shark dove right at me with its mouth wide open!

Danae: Our teeth were chattering, hearts thumping, and adrenaline was pumping while the huge jaws of the great white were coming towards our head! It was the most exciting, unreal feeling to have a four meter long shark close enough to touch!

P.S. Keep watching the blog - tomorrow Danae puts on a special show with the drumming circle.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh!! Swimming with the sharks! You can hear the excitement in the kids' voices just reading their responses. Give them all a big hug for me. Stay safe! Love you all,
Bani'

Anonymous said...

I always knew Midland would be the first to go diving with the sharks. Way to go guys. We are so proud of all of you. Thank you Karen Wells for all you do. Students, keep having fun and please be careful.
Love ya
Linda Allgood

Anonymous said...

Karen, I agree with Bani'. You can read the excitement in their responses. I hope all of you are having a great time. Stay safe and enjoy this coming week. I can't begin to tell you the names of everyone that is asking about how things are going and where you are right now. Love ya!! Steve

Anonymous said...

Karen, You are so brave swimming with the sharks. Reckon they left you alone since you were SEA SICK. Glad you all are doing good.

Josh Wells said...

I remember one time when mom (Karen) jumped out of the pool because there was a garter snake in it. I guess a cage would have made all the difference. So glad you faced your fears and went in. Have a good time.

Ms. McGuire said...

Hi South Africa Adventurers!
We just got back from the Australia trip yesterday and I just wanted to let you know that we're all keeping up with your trip! Take loads of pictures and cherish every moment! It will all go by in a blink of an eye! Tell all the kids that we're following them on Twitter and the blogs! Have a fantastic time!
Carol Anne

Anonymous said...

Guys,

It looks like you are having a great time! We are so proud of you and look forward to having you share with us when you get back.
Make the most of everyday that you have been blessed with on your trip.
We Love you all,

Dean Stanley

Sherry said...

We are so proud of and excited for our "Midland Bunch" You are all in our prayers . We love the pictures and blogs. Can't wait to see all the pictures and hear about all the adventures. Stay safe and keep on having the time of your lives.

Love,

Robert and Sherry Beel

Angela Muse said...

Just reading your comments is soooo exciting! It really makes me feel the excitement you are feeling! I am also very impressed with the maturity that I see coming out in the comments by the students! It is truly a life changing experience and we can all witness that through their words. Send more pictures! I love them!

Anonymous said...

Karen and Crew,
We are all having so much fun living vicariously through all of your pictures and blogs! I am so excited for you guys and can't wait to hear more about your adventures. Take care - you are in my prayers.
Martha Davidson

Justin Karkow said...

Thanks for doing such a wonderful job of sharing your trp with all of us! I hope the rest of your trip is as much (if not more) fun as the first half has been!

Post a Comment

Essential Programs Details

Duration 12 days
When June 2nd - 13th, 2009
Focus Wildlife Research/Conservation
Political History
Culture